Monday, April 8, 2019

Chicken Salad for the Picky Eater

Do you have a picky eater in the family? We do. It's me! I was picky as a kid and I am just as picky now. Drives my family crazy! But, it has forced me to learn what I like and what I don't and how to get around it.

I'm also not a very handy cook, so I do things the easy way. Today, I am sharing my chicken salad recipe with you. It's simple and doesn't have a lot of ingredients. Hopefully, even your pickiest eater will like this one!

What You Will Need


  • Tyson Premium Chunk White Chicken (2 12.5 oz cans)
  • Onion powder
  • Purple or red seedless grapes (green grapes don't look as pretty in the salad!)
  • English cucumber (yep, an English cucumber makes a difference. A regular cucumber is just not crunchy enough!)
  • Mayonnaise (mayo...no Miracle Whip...too tangy)
  • Salt
  • Pepper

(Ingredients will make enough salad for 8 sandwiches)

Wash and half or quarter about 1 cup of red seedless grapes. Purple grapes are great too, but I just don't think green grapes work for the overall look of this chicken salad (IMHO).

Cut your English cucumber into tiny pieces. Like I said above, it does make a difference using an English cucumber. I have found using a "regular" garden cucumber does not provide the crunch you expect in the chicken salad. Most people use celery in their chicken salad. I hate celery. An English cucumber is the same color as celery, has crunch, and tastes delicious! I like about 3/4 a cup of diced cucumbers.

If I have time, I use fresh chicken, but normally, that is not the case, so I pop open a can of Tyson Premium Chunk White Chicken. Drain the water off and pour the 2 cans of chicken in a bowl. Salt and pepper it well. Now, add a dash or two of onion powder to taste. I love the flavor onions provide, but I hate the texture. Onion powder for the picky eater is perfect.

Stir up the seasoned chicken with a fork to get it nice and separated.

Add your grapes and cucumber pieces and give it another stir.

Now add the 3/4 cup mayo. I use the generic Good Value mayo from Walmart. I love it and it is a great price!

Be sure to mix the chicken salad well. If you want your salad to be moister, add a bit more mayo.

Serve as-is or chill in the fridge for an hour.

I love to serve my salad on a bed of lettuce (watching my carbs) but you can add it to a mouth-watering croissant or a simple piece of toasted bread.

A perfect meal for a spring day!

- Amie

No comments:

Post a Comment